Stephen’s view from the back of the pack


Gorrick Frith Hill – last is the new first!


Matt greeted me in his usual friendly manner with an assertion that left me with a puzzled expression. It was resolved when Matt explained his own statement: ‘I can tell you are an experienced mountain bike racer!’

How? By my technical skills? My strength up climbs? My designer race shirt? Nope, I was carrying a Sainsbury’s bag concealing a toilet roll. Ahh, that early morning whiff of chemical portaloos, bacon sandwiches and GT85. It must be a Gorrick.

Sweat trickled into my eyes in the 24oC on the startline prior to the twisty and technical singletrack course on offer in the fast dry and dusty forest of Frith Hill. Encouraging everyone beforehand to wear a heart rate monitor, I am caught faffing with my watch on the grid when the starter sounds the hooter. I’m not clipped in properly and prompted crush myself on the cross tube. Experienced bike rider? Much nibbling of humble pie.

The sun and eagerness for the series final to start overheated brains with a crash between four riders after 50 yards. Followed by 3 more body-over-bars 300 yards later. In avoidance I was now near the back of the pack, when on the first bumpy downhill I am in an argument with a guy over the same patch of dirt - and lose. Five days later and I am still picking grit and bits of fir leaf out of my arms and knees. Experienced bike rider? Lots more munching of humble pie.

So now I am well and truly last and spend the rest of the race head down overtaking people. Yes, all 14 of them. I felt like I’d won my own battle. It’s really tough, aiming for a target rider and busting a gut to overtake but then, when everyone is spread out on the final lap, it’s difficult to pace oneself. I had been playing leapfrog with a guy in a Hope shirt. Great fun, till a lap from the end he overtook me again prior to a short incline over some roots. Whereupon he missed his gears and broke his chain. Oooops. Must have been due to my race pressure, of course. Ahem.

Another great turn-out by 9 SD riders. Hats off to Emma in third and especially Steve C for second on the day and second overall in the series.

Alex T beat Alex D this week. Must have been his baby cheering him home. Bit of a panic near the start-time as he picked up a puncture on the practice lap but a new tube saw him fixed OK. Otherwise Alex D was 15 minutes before race start indulging in a bowl of porridge mixed with rice this week for ultra power?! Unfortunately, a minor detour ‘off-piste’ saw him lose time and places.

Heart rate notes (only ones received from folks):
                                Resting HR            Theoretical Max                     Av. in race              Max in race
Matt                                   40                            188                                          158                          169
Stephen                            57                            164                                          143                          163
Alex D                               48                            192                                          184                          198


Stephen.

No comments:

Post a Comment