Ian P's 2014 season summary:

With 2014 came a big birthday and with my 60th year starts a new age band in mountain bike racing, the sad thing is that I remember the same opportunity at 40 and 50. At 40, I was starting to get podiums with an odd win but by the time I was 50 I was getting more successful. My 50th year started well I won the first race but the second involved a heavy crash whilst leading and a badly broken collarbone and a difficult recovery.
So my 60th year arrived, I had still been competitive in the grand vet 50-59 class but I knew to win you have to finish. Winter 2013 training involved lots of long road rides with coffee and cake and entering the 4 race Brass Monkey series in the new 3 hour grand vet class .which I had 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 6th (bit of mechanical issues in the last round) to finish the series in 3rd place behind friends Steve Jones and Rob Jackson.
I then entered the Gorrick Spring series in the Super Vet 60+ class. I have raced with Andy Roberts for years and he too had entered his 60th year and had just come 5th in the world CX champs so I was expecting a good race but to my surprise I won by several minutes, the same followed for rounds 2 and 3 and the series win. I found the Gorrick races far to short as they consisted of only 2 laps so to add a bit of distance I always did a couple of warm-up laps and sometimes a warm down lap chasing the Grand Vets. For the future I now have permission to enter the Super Vet 40+ 4 lap races.
Next up was the Southern XC series; this had 5 rounds and a separate Southern Championship race. Generally this is a great series with a good range of tracks; to me the track that needs improving is Checkendon. With the SXC came a bit more competition with Tony Wilkins from the Eastern region looking for ranking points. Like Andy he is also new to the Super Vet class and like Andy is a very good Cross and Crit racer. The series went well with 5 wins and the Southern Championship.
Over the years I have often entered the odd National Point Series (NPS) race but have never done the whole 5 race series and National Championship Title race. The NPS had Tony, Andy, and another newbie Lin Lines from Wales and highly respected international racer Vic Barnett (2nd in 2014 worlds in the 65-agecategory and former world Champion). The first race was in the Eastern region, I didn’t know what to expect so at the start I slotted in behind Lin for a few hundred meters and thought I can go faster and won by more than 3 minutes. I continued this winning steak at all 5 rounds. Best race was Redruth in Cornwall, I had 2 punctures, both went flat but sealed with the Stans tubeless latex and just needed inflating and luckily I had 2 CO2 canisters with me. Lin got in front both times but I got the win by just 9 seconds. The worse track and not worthy of the NPS series was Sherwood Pines, as easy win but a lot of travelling for not much of a challenge. Best tracks Redruth and Cannock Chase.
So far I had had a great year not loosing a single race but it went wrong at the National Championships at Hopton. There were a few new faces, one being Roy Hunt who had unbeknown to me also turned 60, Roy had been national champion 6 times in 11 years and I had never beaten him and Hopton was the same, I came 2nd by a margin! But hey silver in theBritish Cycling National Championships isn’t bad.

Still a good year with almost a perfect race record.
1st Gorrick Spring series (1st round 1, 2 and 3)
1st Sothern XC series (1st in all 5 rounds)
1st Southern Championship
1st British Cycling National Point Series (1st in all 5 rounds)
2nd British Cycling National Championships
No1 British cycling ranking Super Vet
IPxc1
A lot of races and a lot of travelling all completed on my trusty Trek Superfly SL with Sram XX1, XTR brakes and either Roval or Strada carbon wheels.




Ian Petherbridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment