Hove Crits & Steyning Tri




Hove crit road race cat 2/3 was held on 18th May. I did the first of the series a few weeks prior and came 4th on this short 1km circuit, including a leg sapping mini climb in it. From our cycling school teacher (aka Steve Calland) he gave me some useful tips on racing from Tuesdays Goodwood race (did crap) and basically kept my eye on one of the stronger riders Mike Coyle. When he jumped I went with him and we did about 6 laps together before he pulled away from me, leaving me to do about another 8 laps on my own with the pack hunting me down. In most races I nearly always feel sick with pushing hard, but this was the first time I have actually thrown up during a race and was reaching a few times on the final lap. Managed to get 2nd so that will do. Full race report is posted here (luckily no mention of me being sick ha);

http://www.velouk.net/2012/05/19/report-george-samuel-memorial-hove-park-crits-2/

Steyning Triathlon on 4th May went better than I had expected, despite the grim rainy 6'C weather. (if you think riding in this weather on a normal ride is bad, try doing it straight after swimming in a nice warm pool and run out bare foot in a tiny trisuit then hop on the bike and deal with the cold air blasting on your cold wet body (i.e no warm kit / water proofs). My arms were cold but DAM I thought my bits and pieces had frost bite, I was in some serious discomfort!!!!

My 800m (32 lap) swim was not very fast  by my normal standards, but not terrible to compare to others at 4/83, 36.5km Bike 3/83 and 8km run 7/83. I finished up as 2nd Snr male and 3rd overall. So got a nice pair of shades from Bloc plus a weee trophy.


Plans for the next tri's are another couple of local races before my Half Ironman (1.9km swim, 90km bike, then just to make things fun a half marathon to end) in California on 15th July. It will be frigging hot and it will be more of a tick box as there will be many pros doing it along with Joe average like myself. Then in Sept the London Olympic plus, which is a 1.5km swim, 90km bike and 10km run.


No comments:

Post a Comment