Gorrick 100



The Gorrick 100 is a tough event and after two weeks of rain I feared it was going to be a long day. Luckily much of the course was on the all-weather trails of Swinley Forrest and there were only a couple of slippery sections to spice things up. Naturally the course included the infamous Surrey Hill cliff face and a couple of other tough little gradients. However, these were loaded towards the beginning of the lap allowing you to enjoy the rest of the course which was a maze of serpentine switchbacks and singletrack.
 
I was up bright and early for the 7 lap start. It was chilly and damp underfoot but the rain held off. Learning the lessons of the previous 10 years I started slowly. Others raced off only for me to catch them again a few hours later, looking pale as their energy reserves hit zero. The other trick is to keep eating and drinking throughout the event. A packet of fig rolls, a couple of energy bars and two bananas were scoffed during my 7 hours in the saddle. 
 
As riders tackling the shorter challenges joined the ‘real’ men (and women) later in the day I was caught by Matt! We had a quick chat and he kindly provided a nice tow on one of the long fireroad drags. Having proudly conquered the climb on every lap I was able to hold off a strong challenge from behind to finish 18th on a day when only just over half the 90 strong field managed to complete the distance.

 Well done to Fay who was the only lady to complete the 5 lap race. Doddy came charging past me on his way to 2nd in the 4 lap event ahead of Matt who finished 18th. Steve was first home in the 2 lapper and I saw Will a few times during his 3 laps – unfortunately one of these was while he was wrestling with a tyre trying to fix a puncture!
 
Year after year this continues to be one of my favourite events. It doesn’t stop it hurting though! I was so knackered I had to stop for a nap on the way home! Luckily it was a bank holiday so there was opportunity for a lie in the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment