Southern XC Championships

Having enjoyed the experience of dry dusty trails over the past few weeks, it was probably inevitable that while much of the UK basked in sunshine, it was drizzling down in the New Forest for the Southern XC Championships. The moisture added a glossy surface to the trails, leaving riders with little confidence in the corners and sapping their strength on the climbs. Despite the weather it would have been a terrific flowing course, had it not been for a couple of  what might politely be called ‘stream crossings’. In reality these were muddy ditches; the fastest method of navigating them was to jump off the bike and leap straight in!

 

Things started badly on my warm-up lap, I found Doddy lying in one of the ditches clutching his knee. He had slipped off a wooden bridge the taken out one of the posts on the way. The marshals were already with him so I was able to move on, which was lucky because I had a puncture. I presume from riding over one of the nails sticking out of the broken bridge.


Back at the car I met Steve who had pulled out, but when he described his recent schedule I am not surprised. The poor man needed some sleep! 

Luckily some of us did make it to the finish line, although I think we'd all agree it was tough going.

Will      2nd Junior
Marc    2nd Open
Ian      6th Grand Vet
Emma 7th Elite
Ollie    7th Junior
Ben   21st Masters      

No comments:

Post a Comment