Southern XC – Alton 22nd August 2010



The last round of the SXC took place this weekend at Alton. The course was run backwards this year and was probably better for it. Alton is always muddy, slippery, flinty, rooty but actually surprisingly enjoyable. Unfortunately just after the start my front Roval wheel broke a spoke, still this wasn’t going to stop me as I had 2nd place in the series to secure and I carried on regardless and was a close 3rd at the end of the 1st lap. There are only 8 spokes on the non disc side of a Roval wheel and with only 7 connected the wheel developed a large buckle and I thought of the consequence of it failing on the flinty descents so with some caution on the rougher sections and drop offs I managed to come in 5th and 2nd in the 2010 SXC series.
Just a note on the wheel, I presume I must have damaged it somehow, I was riding it in Wales last week, it has also seen service in the Alps and Pyrenees, but 8 spokes on one side!
Postie and I are off to the Torq 12/12 next weekend; I plan to use this as training for the Southern XC championship which is being held at Pippingford on 11th September.


1 comment: